The Brockham Green Horticultural Society has been a part of the community for over 50 years covering the villages of Brockham, Betchworth and Buckland in Surrey.
It is affiliated to the Royal Horticultural Society and the Surrey Horticultural Federation.
The Society is for everyone, regardless of age, experience or size of garden. It is for anyone interested in growing any sort of plant or who enjoy cookery or crafts.
Membership subscription is £4 per year, junior members are free. A subscription card is issued which entitles members to discounts at some of the local garden centres and nurseries.
During the year the Society has talks, two shows and a visit to a member's garden.
It's coming to the time of year when we hold our talks and so we are letting you know the dates for the three we have planned for this year. We think they all will be extremely interesting and very different and so hope you will enjoy them as much as talks in previous years.
Crop Circles by Andy Thomas - Monday 17 February
Growing Cut Flowers by Claire Brown - Monday 16 March
Gardening for Wildlife by Paul Ritchie - Monday 20 April
As usual the talks will take place at 19:30 in Brockham Recreation Ground Pavilion. Please feel free to bring a friend: all new faces will be made to feel very welcome as we are always looking for new members. Refreshments will be served.
BGHS Autumn Show 2020
We are pleased to confirm that this will be held on Saturday 19 September.
For those of you that like crafting please find below a list of the categories so that you can start beavering away with your entries. Full Show schedules will be delivered as usual when you renew your memberships later this year.
CRAFTS (Exhibits and photographs made/taken in the 12 months before the Show)
82. A handcrafted item made of threads – embroidery, crochet, cross stitch, sewn work or knitted. Maximum size 60 cm as displayed on the table, e.g. if folded.
83. A Handmade gift for a man or boy
84. An item or items for the Dining Table. Any medium may be used.
85. A painting/ drawing or mixed media artwork, which may be framed or mounted or neither, maximum size 60cm in any direction
86. A Christmas/ Any Other Religious Festival Decoration – Maximum size 30 cm as displayed on the table, i.e. if folded if necessary.
87. Any hand crafted item - a class for NOVICE entrants. Entrants in this category should not have previously entered any craft class in a BGHS show (not including Photography classes)
Individual children are particularly welcome to enter this category and their age will be noted on the entry card.
88. Photograph - ‘Scenes of Surrey’. Mounted, max. size of photo A4
89. Photograph - ‘Weather’. Mounted, max. size of photo A4
90. Photograph - ‘A Big Day’. Mounted, max. size of photo A4
91. Photograph - ‘In my Garden’. Mounted, max. size of photo A4
92. A group of three photographs on a chosen theme
93. A black and white photograph, any subject - Mounted, max. size of photo A4
94. A photographic portrait - Mounted, max. size of photo A4
Annual Plant Sale
Date for diary Sunday 10 May 2020 - More information to follow.
Member's Open Garden 2020
We are looking for someone who would like to open their garden to Members one evening this summer. This has been a popular annual event but we were unable to offer it last year. It is very informal and we supply the refreshments and money raised goes to the Charity of the garden owners choice.
If you think you might be interested in showing off your garden, no matter how big or small, and you would like some more information, please contact us.